1. (TCO 9) A variable cost is a cost that (Points : 4)
remains the same despite changes in the level of activity.
occurs at various times during the year.
varies in total in proportion to changes in the level of activity.
may or may not be incurred, depending on management’s discretion.
2. (TCO 9) Which one of the following would be the same total amount on a flexible budget and a static budget if the activity level is different for the two types of budgets? (Points : 4)
Direct materials cost
Direct labor cost
Variable manufacturing overhead
Fixed manufacturing overhead
3. (TCO 9) The Wiscow Manufacturing Company recorded overhead costs of $14,182 at an activity level of 4,200 machine hours and $8,748 at 2,300 machine hours. The records also indicated that overhead of $9,730 was incurred at 2,600 machine hours. What is the total estimated cost for 2,600 machine hours using the high-low method to estimate the cost equation? (Points : 4)
4. (TCO 8) Southern CompanyÂ’s budgeted and actual sales for 2009 were:
Product Budgeted Sales Actual Sales
X 20,000 units at $5.00 per unit 17,500 units at $5.30 per unit
Y 35,000 units at $9.00 per unit 37,300 units at $8.80 per unit
What is the sales volume variance for the two products? (Points : 4)
20000×5 = 100,000 17500×5 = 87500 12500
315000 335700 20700
5. (TCO 8) Southern Company manufactures Product X. The standard cost of one unit of output is $12.00 (four pieces at $3.00 per piece). During the first quarter, 5,000 units were made, at an actual cost of $10.50 per unit (three pieces at $3.50 per piece). What is the material quantity variance? (Points : 4)