SAINT GBA334 module 2 quiz 1

Consider the following payoff table that represents the profits earned for each alternative (A, B, and C) under the states of nature S1, S2, and S3.

S1 S2 S3

A $60 $145 $120

B $75 $125 $110

C $95 $85 $130

Using the Laplace criterion, what would be the highest expected payoff?

$103.3

$108.3

$120

$125

$145

Question 2. Question : ABC Inc. must make a decision on its current capacity for next year. Estimated profits (in $000s) based on next year’s demand are shown in the table below.

Next Year’s Demand

Alternative Low High

Expand $100 $200

Subcontract $50 $120

Do nothing $40 $50

Using the information above, which alternative should be chosen based on the minimax regret criterion?

Expand

Subcontract

Do nothing

Question 3. Question : A plant manager is considering buying additional stamping machines to accommodate increasing demand. The alternatives are to buy 1 machine, 2 machines, or 3 machines. The profits realized under each alternative are a function of whether their bid for a recent defense contract is accepted or not. The payoff table below illustrates the profits realized (in $000’s) based on the different scenarios faced by the manager.

Alternative Bid Accepted Bid Rejected

Buy 1 machine $10 $5

Buy 2 machines $30 $4

Buy 3 machines $40 $2

Using the information above, which alternative should be chosen based on the minimax regret criterion?

Buy 1 machine

Buy 2 machines

Buy 3 machines

Points Received: 0 of 3

Comments:

Question 4. Question : ABC Inc. must make a decision on its current capacity for next year. Estimated profits (in $000s) based on next year’s demand are shown in the table below.

Next Year’s Demand

Alternative Low High

Expand $100 $200

Subcontract $50 $120

Do nothing $40 $50

Using the information above, which alternative should be chosen based on the criterion of realism with alpha = 0.7?

Expand

Subcontract

Do nothing

Question 5. Question : ABC Inc. must make a decision on its current capacity for next year. Estimated profits (in $000s) based on next year’s demand are shown in the table below.

Next Year’s Demand

Alternative Low High

Expand $100 $200

Subcontract $50 $120

Do nothing $40 $50

Refer to the information above. Assume that ABC Inc. has hired a marketing research firm that provided additional information regarding next year’s demand. Suppose that the probabilities of low and high demand are assessed as follows: P(Low) = 0.4 and P(High) = 0.6.

What is the expected value under certainty?

0

140

160

200

Question 6. Question : Consider the following payoff table that represents the profits earned for each alternative (A, B, and C) under the states of nature S1, S2, and S3.

S1 S2 S3

A $60 $145 $120

B $75 $125 $110

C $95 $85 $130

What is the expected value of perfect information (EVPI)? Assume P(S1) = 0.5 and P(S2) = 0.25.

$0

$11.25

$15

$20

$35

Question 7. Question : If the coefficient of realism alpha equals 1, then the criterion of realism will yield the same result as the maximax criterion.

True

False

Question 8. Question : A plant manager is considering buying additional stamping machines to accommodate increasing demand. The alternatives are to buy 1 machine, 2 machines, or 3 machines. The profits realized under each alternative are a function of whether their bid for a recent defense contract is accepted or not. The payoff table below illustrates the profits realized (in $000’s) based on the different scenarios faced by the manager.

Alternative Bid Accepted Bid Rejected

Buy 1 machine $10 $5

Buy 2 machines $30 $4

Buy 3 machines $40 $2

Refer to the information above. Assume that based on historical bids with the defense contractor, the plant manager believes that there is a 65% chance that the bid will be accepted and a 35% chance that the bid will be rejected.

What is the expected value under certainty?

1.05

1.95

17.25

27.75

Question 9. Question : A bakery must decide how many pies to prepare for the upcoming weekend. The bakery has the option to make 50, 100, or 150 pies. Assume that demand for the pies can be 50, 100, or 150. Each pie costs $5 to make and sells for $7. Unsold pies are donated to a nearby charity center. Assume that there is no opportunity cost for lost sales.

Using the information above, which alternative should be chosen based on the maximin criterion?

Make 50 pies

Make 100 pies

Make 150 pies

Question 10. Question : A plant manager is considering buying additional stamping machines to accommodate increasing demand. The alternatives are to buy 1 machine, 2 machines, or 3 machines. The profits realized under each alternative are a function of whether their bid for a recent defense contract is accepted or not. The payoff table below illustrates the profits realized (in $000’s) based on the different scenarios faced by the manager.

Alternative Bid Accepted Bid Rejected

Buy 1 machine $10 $5

Buy 2 machines $30 $4

Buy 3 machines $40 $2

Using the information above, which alternative should be chosen based on the criterion of realism with alpha = 0.8?

Buy 1 machine

Buy 2 machines

Buy 3 machines

Our Essay Format
  • Times New Roman, 12 pt
  • 1 Inch Margins
  • Double/ Single Spacing
  • 275/ 550 Words Per Page
  • MLA/ APA/ Turabian/ Chicago style, etc

A standard double-spaced page contains 275 words

Free Features
  • Hiring a preferred expert
  • Bibliography & cover page
  • Revisions within 14-30 days
  • 24/7 customer support
payments

Team of Professional Essay Writers

With our essay service, you'll find an essay writer for any task. Their rating is based on previous customer reviews and successful orders. Before you hire a writer, you can familiarize yourself with their track record in detail.