Strategic Management Case
This capstone course will require each student to construct a detailed and well-thought-out analysis of a business employing all the relevant strategic analysis tools studied in the course. This project will take the full term to complete.
Eighty percent (80%) of the semester grade will be determined based on the Strategic Management
Case, which is divided into three phases:
1. Phase 1: Proposal and initial analysis (20% of total grade)
2. Phase 2: Substantive draft (20% of total grade)
3. Phase 3: Final Case (40% of total grade)
The Strategic Management Case is an analysis of the firm selected by the student. The format of the report should include:
1. Description of the firm (brief history, critical strategic events, competitors, leadership, etc.). If there are any general situational assumptions or limitations on the scope of the analysis, these should also be specified here. This section should be limited to a maximum of five pages. Note:
Some students may select a new business venture for a firm they would seriously consider starting. For these students, this section will focus on a research based history, critical strategic events, emerging competition, and industry leaders.
2. The strategic analysis of the firm. The results of each strategic tool are presented along with a discussion of importance and implications. Also required are sections for financial analysis and assumptions, although the specific contents of these sections may vary considerably. With respect to assumptions, see point 6 under project tips.
3. Financial strategic assessment. This section should integrate the findings from all of the analytical exercises employed in section 2. A final and all-encompassing analysis is presented, along with the recommendations that you would make to the firmÂ’s board of directors. This would include identifying what you would and would not do, and outlining any relevant alternate scenario plans or contingency plans. Be sure to address any potential competitive reaction.
At Phase 1 (Module 3) and Phase 2 (Module 6), the Strategic Management Case assignments should be submitted via the Dropbox to receive immediate feedback before progressing further. The Final Case should be submitted via the Dropbox.
This will be a long detail-oriented paper, and consequently there are no examinations. It is my sincere hope that you will find this project to be the most rewarding effort in your educational career.